Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jes' Puerto Ri"CAN" Picadillo



Finally got it together and wrote down the steps for my very first recipe on this blog.  And what better recipe to start off with than my most requested dish.  My version of the originally “Cuban” dish, Jes’ Puerto Ri”CAN” Picadillo.  I hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as my family does. 


What you will need for Jes' Puerto Ri”CAN” Styled Picadillo:
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • ¼ cup of sofrito
  • ½ cup diced onions
  • ½ cup diced bell pepper (green and yellow or red)
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  •  ¼ cup sliced or whole Spanish olives (Goya) 
  • 1 tbsp. capers
  • Adobo to taste
  • ½ packet of sazon
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes 
  • 1 can of (Rotel) diced tomatoes and Green Chiles
  • 4 oz tomato sauce (Goya) 
Cook the ground beef with sofrito, onions, peppers, cilantro, and season with Adobo and sazon until the meat is done. Add the olives, capers, diced tomatoes, chiles, and tomato sauce. Cook another 5 minutes or so to cook down any extra liquids. That's it!  
In Puerto Rico, picadillo is used for stuffing, which needs to be moist but not runny, so not a lot of tomato sauce is used. But if you are serving it as a side dish, like I do (over white rice) use more tomato sauce. Usually a dish like this uses more sofrito, but I like to see the chopped spices so I reduce the amount of sofrito and add chopped ingredients, or how I did it last time, I used the sofrito and the chopped ingredients! It came out delish!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment